Tuesday, November 25, 2008

One million uses for Flannel

Okay, maybe not quite one million.... but a bunch!

Joanns is selling flannel for $1.49/yard on Black Friday, so I'm trying to think of as many uses for it as possible! I haven't used flannel much, and when I have it's been for pajama pants... so a bit of 'outside the box' thinking was much needed.

Here are some things I've come up with thus far...

Rag quilts- here's a helpful tutorial from Knit and Tonic. I'm really loving this rag quilt from Debbie Mitchell.



Pajamas (obviously)- Lots of people will be getting these =). To make them a bit more original, you could have the main fabric in a print, and the bottom in a solid with ribbon trim between the two.

Throw pillows- Cozy bed pillows. Embellish them to make them even cuter. Or make huge floor pillows. You can find a HUGE list of pillow tuts at thedomesticdiva blog.

Receiving blankets- I love this tutorial from Observations of an every day mom.


Baby toys- A vast array of soft baby goodness can be made. Here are some tutorials, just to name a few- baby blocks, fabric beach balls, and a little bunny.

Boo boo hot/cold rice packs- Simple tutorial here.

Burp cloths- Here's a tut from Homemade by Jill. I'm really loving the rag edge =)
Sashet- Visit Femininity in a Feminist World for a wonderful lavender sashet tutorial, and read the blog of an amazing teen.

Scarves- You could make a rag scarf, similar to the one seen on Sandi Henderson where she displays Flannel Ginger Blossom fabric. Use the rag quilt tutorial above. Or you could go with something more traditional.


Reading companion- Part bookmark, part glasses case. Visit marmadaisy to find out how.

If I find anything else that really jumps out at me, I'll update this. Hope you guys enjoy shopping and sewing!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Deal! I just finished 3 rag quilts for Christmas gifts - my hands stopped cramping after a few days ;) Thanks for the ideas for all my left over flannel!

Anonymous said...

Wow Amanda. What a talented sewer you are!! Hopefully someday I'll be half as good as you! :)

Thanks for the heads up on the flannel sale. I've been wanting to make a flannel quilt for a while now, and maybe this is the time to start!

Thanks for linking me. :)

Serenity

Cozy Cabin Creations said...

and pillowcase dresses too...they are wonderful made from flannel!!!

Parkinson's said...

thank yo so much for these ideas...I'm making jammies (top and bottom) for the kids with matching slippers (fleece lining so they are warmer) and a pillow for watching movies at night (a big fight at our house for the soft pillows). I saw the sale and have been racking my brain for ideas...it's a sale I can't pass up, but also don't want to buy just because.

You can do flannel board stories and games.

I might do rag quilts--they are great to leave in the car during the cold months (we actually have some already---but need one we will leave in the car). If you want to take the rag quilt a step farther---you can shape it into an animal instead of a quilt...look the patterns website (mccalls and simplicity) then you can make your own--they were pretty cute.

Lots of baby ideas. I make burp cloths--but I make mine small since my kids spit up a lot--then I have lots of small and can always keep a clean on on me and them. I also read somewhere you can make feminine pads too.

I got the simplicity 2613 and mccalls 6485 for their stuffed animals. (lots of others good ones too) Patterns are also going to be on sale (for those of us -me- who need patterns)and fleece is going to be a great deal too. (For bathrobes?!?!--we'll see how ambitious I get in the next 3 days. Ü

I also saw a site for flannel sheets with an awesome tut. for the fitted sheet.

There are also lots of "food" tut's out there. So you don't have to worry about the plastic stuff getting broken. search for play food patterns.

I can't wait to see what other ideas you get...I might have to throw the pillowcase dress idea into my list of projects.

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to make a cover for my Kindle. The store bought ones cost around $20. I think Flannel will be great because it is soft and won't scratch it up. What do you think?